Friday, August 19, 2011

Life gets in the way

...and doesn't even bother signaling. 

The plan was to post a blog review, or at least another blog post, before this much time had elapsed.  However, a relative - one of hubby's uncles who was always very good to us - passed away, so we tidied up affairs at home in a hurry and drove out to the east coast for the visitation service.  While we were out that way, we also stopped in to see one of our other favorite relatives, an aunt and uncle who live in the lovely town of Frostburg in western Maryland.  

As my sister joked, the only time one gets to catch up with the distant cousins and other not-so-close relatives is at funerals and weddings.  It's a sad truism, I'm afraid, with families being scattered all over the country and globe these days.

So, the blog review has to wait because I've also missed out on the amazing WriteOnCon and I want to go catch up on the events from the past week.  :}

In the meantime, there's an interesting article from Writer's Digest on whether you should post your novel online for free.  My SF critique group has discussed this before. It's always interesting to read more perspectives on it. 

"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." – Alexander Woolcott

7 comments:

Tommy said...

Well, I posted *my* novella to my blog.

TeresaR said...

Tom, that's because you answer to no one!

Michelle said...

I am sorry about your uncle. I hope things went smoothly at the funeral. Your sister is right, we all are so busy with our lives that often times reconnecting at funerals is the only way. I hope now that you are home you have time to relax and do some of the things you were looking forward to focussing on :)

TeresaR said...

Thanks, M...it was a pretty decent funeral/visitation/viewing in that we did get to talk to other relatives. It was, of course, very sad, and crying tires me out. I don't regret going, but I did miss some important events in my writing life. :} Funerals always remind me to "carpe diem" though.

Epicure68 said...

It's always hard to go to funerals as they are such sad occasions, but like you say, it also reminds you to live your own life to the fullest. Or at least try not to sleep through all of it, tempting as it may be. :)

TeresaR said...

Totally, Epi! Just like in that Steve Jobs' commencement address. I have to say that sleeping is also a most enjoyable activity. ;)

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Teresa. It's unfortunate that it sometimes takes occasions like that to help us put what's truly important in perspective.

As far as the posting online or not...I just don't know! I suppose if I were a really prolific writer and could crank out tons of stories, I would be more apt to post a few online, but alas, that is not the case.