Monday, November 7, 2011

Refreshing, rejuvenating, remarkable retreat

The only "re..." word that I can't use is "relaxing."

I just spent the weekend at a writers retreat offered by the Indiana chapter of SCBWI and my head is a-swimming. Kristi Valiant and Alina Klein did an incredible job organizing this event. I hadn't been to an SCBWI event in probably 6 or 7 years; I think I've been missing out.

There were roundtable discussions on doing revisions, marketing, and networking. There were also extremely helpful critique sessions - the critique group I was assigned to was nothing short of amazing and comprised of Alina, Julia Karr, and Christi Atherton.

While the work I turned in for this retreat was less than stellar, the group helped me re-think the story, and helped me split it into three different potential book ideas! Three for the price of one: how's that for getting my money's worth?

I settled on one of the potential ideas and have begun to work on it. These lovely and talented ladies promised me they'd critique a couple of chapters for me when I have those done, even though they're no longer bound to help me. I am one lucky gal, and I look forward to many, many years of friendship with them.

But now, it's back to *real* writing.

If you're a writer and haven't gone to a retreat or conference, I heartily recommend saving the money to attend one!

p.s. yes, I am totally lame and didn't take a single photo even though we were staying at a pretty state park.


"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." – Alexander Woolcott

6 comments:

Epicure68 said...

Three different book ideas, is your story getting multiple personalities?

TeresaR said...

Yes! But at least it's not schizophrenic. ;D [Just a little public service, teaching people that there's a huge difference between Multiple Personality Disorder and Schizophrenia...which you already knew. heh]

Under the Willow said...

Teresa- I haven't been to a SCBWI event in over 10 years. The last one was in Westminster, Maryland.

Often I think about joining the SCBWI network again- I miss those days of everyone submitting work to be critiqued, etc.

Under the Willow said...

Hi again! I think I'll join SCBWI again right after the holidays. I think this will be a perfect time for me to re-connect there. In the meantime, I love to read some of your writings.

Name: Holly Bowne said...

I'm totally jealous, Teresa! I had a goal at the beginning of the year to attend at least one writing conference. Well, it's December and I haven't done it yet. Aaaaannnd...it's not lookin' promising! Good for you! Sounds as if you definitely got your money's worth! :o)

TeresaR said...

Carrie, definitely do it: re-join SCBWI! I have a lot of drafts, but nothing recent that has been published. My publications are from a while back.

Holly, there's always next year! I hope you'll find a conference that's perfect for you.