Monday, December 19, 2011

NaNo Fail...again

Yes, I admit it. It was a bad idea after all.

Last year, my mother died at the end of October, so we had to fly to Vancouver where I helped my sister and dad deal with all the funeral arrangements and that pretty much messed up the rest of November.

No, doing NaNoWriMo wasn't the bad idea, although November tends to be one of the more busy months of the year in general. The bad idea was "bringing several aspects of my writing life together." That totally blew up in my face.

On the other hand, maybe the problem was really the bending the fabric of space-time. Maybe I rended the fabric instead. Besides, any SF aficionado knows that bad things always happen when you mess with space-time - whether bending, rending, or even ironing.

Whatever the cause, the outcome was editor-spit ugly.

The moral of the story is, at least for me: don't mix together several areas of my writing life. It's like cooking: unless you're Iron Chef Morimoto, you shouldn't try to create a dish with bear meat, agar-agar, and durian. When I say "you", I mean "me." I'd never dream of telling you what to do!

The other moral is: try Camp NaNo in June or August instead of the regular NaNo in November. Unless it's a bumper strawberry year for us, and I have to make enough jam for a small country, June is a pretty quiet month.

Did you do NaNoWriMo last month? Did you win? Will you do Camp NaNo?

"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." – Alexander Woolcott

No comments: