Monday, January 16, 2012

To do or not to do

One of my favorite Martin Luther King, Jr. quotes is "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

Sometimes, though, it's hard to live with others because we all do things that drive each other crazy.
"If you don't shut up, I will have to punch you."

In the arena of social media, I have some advice for myself (and anyone else who sees him/herself in these) to help us live together more harmoniously:

1) Stop making obscure and provocative remarks. It's like that old advice for when you're angry: count to ten before you say anything. I know if I did that, I'll find that I really needn't be saying anything at all. Instead of going to Facebook or Twitter and announcing something just to get people to say "are you ok?" or whatever, write it down in my journal instead. I'm guessing the need to make obscure and provocative posts stems from a passive-aggressive personality...thanks, mom, for passing that trait along.  :P
**Hey! I'm not the only one who thinks that's annoying - see top peeve at the poll at Real Simple. 

2) Don't be subtle. I get subtle jokes only if I'm operating at 98% and I, and most people I know, aren't usually operating at that level of capability. If I'm going to be subtle, chances are people won't get the joke. Or the hint. And then I'll just get annoyed at people when it's me I should be mad at.

3) "Like" more. The "Like" button is easy to use and generally appreciated by the recipient. So even if a particular person has rarely acknowledged my posts, I can still be nice and "Like" their statuses and posts - this also lets me check "random acts of kindness" off my daily to-do list. Now if only Twitter has a "like" button...

Hope you're having an introspective and socially-conscious Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!


"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." – Alexander Woolcott

2 comments:

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Great advice! And I'm so with you on the "subtle" stuff. If friends or family merely drop hints regarding something, it's pretty much guaranteed that I'm going to miss the point completely. Just say it!

Epicure68 said...

But if I don't whine & complain on social media, who's going to hear me? ;) It'd be great if more sites had a like button, it's an easy way to say "you go girl" without having to say it.