Monday, March 5, 2012

National Grammar Day

So yesterday, March 4, was National Grammar Day.  Not nearly as tasty as National Doughnut Day, but with only a fraction of the calories, it's a much more healthful day for you.

I think my sci-fi critique group is under some strange impression that I'm a grammar guru. Not so. As someone with ESL (English as a Second Language), I make my fair share of gaffes, though apparently not the same gaffes as native speakers do.

But, like many people, I do have my language botch-up pet peeves. One of them is the mispronunciation of words. The famous one, of course, is people saying /new-ku-ler/ instead of /new-kleer/ for "nuclear", but the one that bothers me equally - because I watch WAY too much House Hunters on HGTV - is /reel-la-ter/ instead of /reel-ter/ for "realtor". (Do those slash marks make me look like a linguistics major? Well, I was.)

Come on, people! Do you see the "a" after the "l"? No? Then don't pronounce an "a" after the "l". Simple.

What's your favorite language/grammar pet peeve? Is that an oxymoronic phrase, favorite pet peeve?

Today's post was brought to you by the question mark...helping inquiring minds go one annoying step further.

"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." – Alexander Woolcott

No comments: