Monday, June 11, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo

Most of you are probably aware of NaNoWriMo, the not-so-roll-off-the-tongue shortening of "National Novel Writing Month". It's a one month (duh) writing frenzy that runs every November that is supposed to help you produce a rough first draft of a novel in 30 days.

I don't know about you, but my Novembers are usually crazy enough as it is, getting holiday cards and presents made for December (and we don't even do anything to celebrate Thanksgiving since we take the Native American perspective on it), without taking on writing a 50,000-word novel.

So when I found out that the NaNo folks have created a similar venue called Camp NaNo, held in June and August - and you can choose one or both months, I decided that I could try it in June (instead of August since August is the time when most veggies are ready to be harvested and canned). I figured that of the three months available for doing NaNo, June would be the least busy.

I got my buddy Michelle to sign up for it with me a few months ago when it seemed like June would be a nice quiet month. Turns out June is not a nice, quiet month. I'm up to my neck in things to do and my calendar is filled to the brim. Dang.

But I have a novel idea, which I hope is also a novel (adjective) idea...hah!, that I need to work on anyway, so I'm determined to write as much of it as I can during this month.

As hubby likes to remind me, I'm certifiable.

Are you also doing Camp NaNo or will you be doing regular NaNoWriMo this year?

"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~ Toni Morrison

No comments: